Sunday, January 13, 2008

What goes around, comes around....

Perhaps not everyone would be sensitive and kind enough to do what this lady did for me.

I was at Tangs, Vivocity as early as 10.30am, hoping to beat the crowd on weekends.I was browsing for a new pair of comfortable footwear as I gave up glueing the soles of my two pairs of Mondo shoes.I headed for Aerosoles, a brand that I've heard of for quite some time but have yet to browse its collections.As I was picking up a footwear, a saleslady came forward.A typical salesperson ice-breaker would be 'how may I help you', but this good-natured Chinese lady was actually rushing to inform me that Aerosoles carry shoes with pigskin lining.I was astounded.The shoe that was in my hand plonked back onto the rack.I was hugely relieved, however, when she assured me that the one I picked up was not lined with pigskin.I thanked her profusely.

To some people, this may be a small thing.But I have had a few encounters whereby I was not told, or perhaps, to give the salesperson the benefit of the doubt, they may not be aware of it (though they should know their products,shouldn't they?) and it was truly disappointing to have a good shopping experience thwarted.A few years ago, at a high-end store in Ngee Ann City,a good friend of mine came in contact with a shoe with pigskin lining.What angered us was that the salesperson was of the same race/religion but failed to warn us. I had also bought shoes with that lining, and of course had them thrown away.I realized that it was a mistake on my part for not checking them thoroughly (the three dots), but having salesperson like the one at Tangs, I was eternally grateful and pleased with a kind-hearted soul.

I believe what goes around comes around.Sometimes I would express my displeasure when a person irks me or does not behave graciously.At other times,it was just not worth my energy.It's all in the little things we do for other people each day...be it your family, friends, or the person down the street.To me, it doesn't hurt to help.

So, to that saleslady at Vivocity....the supervisor at Tangs Orchard for carrying the big box of swing that I bought for my baby all the way to the taxi-stand....that man who opened the door for me as I pushed my baby's pram....thank you!

No comments: