Monday, January 14, 2008

Loss of an innocent

Blow to head: Baby's death an accident
A TWO-MONTH-OLD baby boy died after his head was banged against a toilet bowl by accident while he was being bathed. Jordan Teo Ka Jun's Indonesian caregiver Lasini, 25, was so afraid of being scolded that she did not tell anyone what had happened.


This was in the news recently.It disturbed me intensively when I read it.It is a mother's nightmare to have this happened to her baby.What was even more astounding was the fact that the coroner found the maid not criminally negligent in causing the baby's death.It may be an accident, but she was indeed inattentive and tactless.When an adult has a baby in the bathroom, the baby should NEVER leave their sight, not even for a second, what more to leave him standing or sitting on his own.What was even more horrifying was the maid did not inform the family immediately.Why?She was fearful?Fearful of being reprimanded?Fearful of the fact that she may be discharged from her duty as a maid?The only thing she should be fearful of was the baby's well-being...his life...

I've never trusted maids.Even before I read this, I've never trusted them.Yes, there may be a few who are good-natured.But I've heard horrific stories from friends who have/had maids, and the picture painted is not pretty.

My condolences to Jordan's family...

No comments: