Thursday, January 24, 2008

Noise in the night

Sometimes I wish we are living in a cottage with vast reaches of greens, near the mountains....

Reality check.Here we were trying to fall asleep,and there was loud annoying noise outside our window....rattling and purring of a machine...clanking of metals.....on top of the noise from the traffic...I didn't bother to see what it was.I just want it to stop.My guess was roadworks being carried out.It didn't stop at 11pm...nor at 3am, when I got up to feed my baby.It took me some time to fall back to sleep.

Of course, in the morning at about 6.30,we would hear the loud noise from a motorcycle.The rider would start up his motorcycle and cranked it up again and again.I know that he probably wanted to warm up his vehicle,but for crying out loud, he's waking up the entire neighbourhood,as if telling everyone,hey good morning everybody,just want to tell you I'm off to work,wave me from your windows if you can hear me....

It's annoying to the max.He must be so proud of his bike.He does this everyday.Most times my baby would be awoken by it.I wish I could just throw eggs at him from my window.Urgh!This guy's not alone....he has mates who do similarly,sometimes in the afternoon,sometimes at night.They are so pathetic that they have to rev their bikes again and again,hoping people would turn to look at them and their measly bikes....so desperate for attention.

Another noise in the night is the singing of getais.A huge tent is put up at the open field right beside our block.This is not only during the seventh month,but done in every few months,usually before any public holiday.We all talk about being tolerant,yes,we are trying to.What I don't understand is why must they crank up the volume SO LOUD?!So loud that you can feel the vibrations on the floor.Please sing if you must,but must it be deafeningly loud?What,your audience can't hear you??Or are you simply trying to mask your inability to sing?This goes on till 11pm or so,for a few days at a time.

Well this is urban life.Grit your teeth and bear it?I don't know...I sure would love to give these people a piece of my mind.Meanwhile,I'll just be dreaming about that cottage in the greens.....

No comments: