Thursday, March 6, 2008

Unconditional love

Something tugged on my heartstrings when I read this article in 'Mind Your Body' section of The Straits Times,written by Dr Peter Chew,a senior consultant gynaecologist and obstetrician at Gleneagles Medical Centre.

It was about a 35 year old woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer during her second pregnancy.Although she was advised to terminate her pregnancy at four months,she felt that she should try and let her baby live.She also knew that the cancer would grow more rapidly during pregnancy,but she was determined to risk her life for her baby's sake.

She managed to deliver her baby in the eighth month of her pregnancy though she had to undergo her chemotheraphy sessions.Sadly,her cancer spread to her brain and three months later,she died.She had written a note to the doctor a week before she passed on.When I read it, my eyes sting....
"You have certainly provided me with the opportunity of motherhood even though it maybe a short one."

Oh how she sacrificed her life to let her child live...that decision she made...that unconditional love for her child.It just proves that the life of her baby is more important than hers.I believe that is how EVERY mother/parent feels.From the moment that tiny dot is seen in your womb,you'd naturally know that you'd do anything and sacrifice anything for it.

I also watched a locally produced documentary on TV that mirrored this notion.

A couple who tried to have a baby but couldn't have....The wife had miscarriges,not one,not two,but four.Everytime she was tested positive,she grew anxious and afraid that she'd have another miscarriage.Eventually,her pregnancy progressed,but was told that the baby had a heart problem and it might not live for more than a week.Contrary to what the doctor advised,she went ahead with her pregnancy and gave birth to her baby by Caesarean section.Immediately,her baby was admitted to neo-natal intensive care unit .She described how sad it was to see how her baby was poked and prodded by needles and tubes.

The baby died a week after.

What made me bawl was when she said that she didn't even get the chance to hold her baby in her arms...to hold him...feel him...kiss him...It was a test that surmounts all.

I felt somewhat numb afterwards.Though I already know how blessed I am to have my baby,to see and hold him everyday,it just reiterates how much Allah has bestowed upon me.

And I'm thankful...each and everyday.

No comments: