Saturday, May 3, 2008

Charco's "the flaming chicken"

Feeling extremely lazy and sleepy today.

Blame it on the really good massage I had this morning.Yup,I finally had my personal masseuse came over after more than two months of 'non-kneading' my body.Hehe.I'm addicted to her massage,I tell ya.Today,I had to bear with a lot more pain,on my left arm,legs and shoulderblades.But it was worth it!

And what was more pleasurable was right after a cool shower,I curled up with my new Paolo Coelho's Veronika Decides To Die and I eventually fell asleep.....

I woke up only to serve my rumbling tummy.As darling hubby suggested that I didn't have to cook today (hooray!),we got ready for a lunch-out and decided to drive all the way to Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 to try Charco's-a sprouting new eating place.



There were not many people there,probably because it was a tad too late for lunch and too early for dinner.I was under the impression that it was of a restaurant or cafe type but it was more of a kopitiam/coffeeshop.But it took up a big area where it showcased its salads (caesar-halal of course,coleslaw,potato,seafood,etc) and chicken (charco's and portugese).It looked really appetizing.



After walking back and forth a few times to see which ones got us salivating the most,hubby and I decided to order two different sets-rack of ribs and 1/4 portugese chicken (as opposed to charco's,as the staff claimed the portugese is nicer as it has more spices and a bit more spicy.) We had fries,coleslaw and a corn cob with them.

Our verdict?

The chicken was very nice.Tender and juicy,with just the right amount of spice.It was not really spicy.Hubby really liked it dipped in barbecue sauce.The fries were thick and crispy on the outside.I liked the fries...so did the little one.Hubby didn't really enjoy them as he prefered thin fries.The corn cob was nice too...sweet and soft.The rack of ribs?Hmmm...I didn't like them at all....so did hubby.A bit too hard and well,the taste just didn't do for us.

After having two sets of food,we felt we could eat some more (trust us to eat!hah!) so hubby ordered a chicken kebab which happened to be one of the best we've ever tasted!The downside was that it,too,came with fries....so now,we had a loadful of fries that we couldn't finish.

All in all,we had a pleasant dining experience.We even had half a chicken packed for home : ) Charco's offers a variety of food to choose from-kebabs,burgers,schnitzels,wraps and even briyani (rather weird though).The prices won't burn a hole in your pocket too.The staff were nice and friendly.We even 'interviewed' them about Charco's.It is Australian-owned and apparently,they are considering to have an outlet in the east (yay!),possibly in the first quarter of next year.

The downside?Well,it's not a restaurant or cafe so no AC for us.We had to eat in the sweltering afternoon heat,but fortunately,the place is somewhat covered and ventilation was not bad.Just have lots of icy,cold drinks with your food.There were also many birds who flew in to peck on patron's leftover food so it was rather disturbing.But my little one descended into an uncontrollable fit of giggles when he saw the birds pecking and flipping fries with one another.He was so amused looking at them!

So we drove back home with happy tums...but I was still thinking of the big slice of apple pie that I saw at the showcase.Though I was way too full to have that,it couldn't stop me from thinking of it.hah!Anyway,perhaps sometime in future,other rotisseries like Kenny Roger's and Nando's might consider having outlets here...halal ones,of course.Now,that would be awesome!

No comments: